- FMC Corporation this week informed a group of property owners in Middleport that it has been requested by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC), along with the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) (collectively, the “Agencies”) to perform additional investigative activities in a portion of the study area known as “Tributary One and Flood Plain South of Pearson/Stone Roads,” also referred to as “Operable Unit 6 or “OU6.” FMC agreed to perform property surveys, inspections, data collection, soil sampling and analysis in an OU6 Reach T1 Interim Corrective Measures Pre-design Work Plan, approved by NYSDEC on June 2, 2016.Click here to view a copy of the OU6 Reach T1 Interim Corrective Measures Pre-design Work Plan.The study area includes approximately 26 residential, commercial and public properties along the upstream portion of Tributary One and its flood plain between Francis St. on the south and the Erie Canal on the north. This investigation is part of FMC’s continuing effort to evaluate constituents relative to its plant in Middleport under the 1991 Administrative Order on Consent among FMC and the Agencies.
The activities to be conducted during the summer of 2016 may include:
- Inspecting properties to identify, survey, and mark sampling locations and property features;
- Collecting stream and/or wetland samples to characterize stream and bank conditions;
- Collecting surface and subsurface soil samples on selected properties;
- Inspecting the integrity of related structures (e.g., embankments, road/bridge foundations, storm sewer pipes).
The data and information that will be obtained will be used to better delineate the areas and depths of elevated arsenic on properties, and/or to evaluate the scope of any remediation that may be needed. FMC and/or its environmental consultants will be contacting individual property owners to discuss property-specific activities and to request permission to access the property.Property owners with any concerns, comments or questions can contact the FMC Community Office at 735-9769 or in-person at 8 S. Vernon Street in Middleport. Walk-in hours are 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Other times are available by appointment. Property owners are also invited to speak with a representative of the Agencies.FMC is committed to operating safely in Middleport, NY to protect its employees, neighbors, and the environment in compliance with all applicable Federal and State regulations. It is also committed to protecting human health and the environment and has worked diligently with the community over the years to ensure the Village is safe.